Adult Small Groups Important or Not?

For the life of me I can’t figure out why so many in the church I pastor refuse to become a part of an adult Bible fellowship small or medium size group (ABF). The importance of connecting with a small group cannot be overstated in a church. I know of no thriving church that does not emphasize adult small groups.

The level of commitment required is awaking 1 hour earlier each Sunday, yet we struggle at getting there. How is it that we can get to work 5 days a week early or on time but when it comes to Sundays we struggle so much? What is the difference? Isn’t it really just a matter of priorities? Small groups are a priority to some and not to others.

I was part of a small group in Iraq and it made all the difference in the world toward spiritual growth and discipleship. Tommy, Rob and I met frequently and then sometimes Rob, Cody and I met. I also had the privilege of leading a small group Bible study on Wednesday—what a time that was. We studied through the book of Daniel. I will never forget that group and the growth that was experienced.

I would love to hear from you why you think people do not connect to a ABF group.